This guide is for you if you have an iPhone and are curious about how the Apple ID system works. In this article, I’ll explain whether an iPhone can have two Apple IDs, how to add another Apple ID to your iPhone, how many Apple IDs you can use on an iPhone at the same time, and how everything works.
Is It Possible To Have 2 Apple IDs on the same iPhone?
You can use two Apple IDs for different services, such as one for iCloud and another for the App Store. Previous purchases can be authorised to old Apple IDs, prompting you to sign in with an old Apple ID or someone else’s. Multiple Apple IDs are used for various purposes, such as managing contacts, notes, and so on.
Many people are unaware that you can use multiple Apple IDs on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. Different Apple IDs can be used for different purposes. For example, you could have a personal Apple ID and a business Apple ID that you use for different things. I use a different Apple ID for each App Store purchase and another for iCloud.
You cannot, however, use two different Apple IDs for iCloud. Different Apple IDs can be used for various Apple services such as the App Store, Apple Music, iTunes Store, Messages, Game Centre, and others.
How Do I Add An Additional Apple ID To My iPhone?
- Start Settings.
- Scroll down and choose from Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, or Reminders.
- Select Accounts.
- Select Add Account.
- Choose iCloud.
- Enter your Apple ID email address, then tap Next.
- Enter your password, then press the Next button.
You can also sign out of your current Apple ID and sign in again with a different one. Signing out and then back in with a different ID on your iPhone requires two steps. You must first sign out of your Apple ID on your iPhone before signing in with a different ID from Settings. Adding another Apple ID to your iPhone requires two steps:
Method 1: Log out of your Apple ID on your iPhone
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- At the top, select Apple ID Name and Photo.
- Scroll down and click the Sign Out button.
- If you only have one iCloud and App Store account, you will be prompted to enter your Apple ID password. If you have multiple accounts, you will be prompted to select one of three options:
- Log out of iCloud and the App Store.
- Log out of iCloud.
- Log out of the App Store
- Choose which iCloud data you want to keep on your iPhone and delete the rest.
- Tap Sign Out once more to sign out of your iPhone’s Apple ID.
Method 2: On iPhone, Sign In With a Different Apple ID
Now that you’ve signed out of your first Apple ID from your iPhone, here’s how to sign in with a different Apple ID:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- At the top, select Sign in to your iPhone.
- Sign in with the credentials from your other Apple ID.
- If you already have data on your iPhone, such as Contacts, Calendars, Passwords, and so on, you will be asked to Merge the data with this Apple ID. Choose whether or not to merge the data.
How Many Apple IDs Are Allowed On An iPhone?
You can have up to three different Apple IDs on one device, which you can manage by going to Settings > Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases. If you own an iPhone, an iPad, and a Mac, you can create up to nine different Apple IDs.
There are options for managing both iCloud and Media & Purchases. However, you cannot use two different iCloud accounts at the same time. That is not the case. For iCloud and the App Store, you can only use two different IDs.
Why Does My iPhone Have Two Apple IDs?
The primary Apple ID is used for iCloud, iMessage, and other services, and it usually has two-factor authentication enabled. The’store ID,’ which is used for iTunes and the Apple Store, is the second Apple ID. Multiple Apple IDs can be added to iPhones. For example, you could be signed in with your primary Apple ID for iCloud and another one for App Store purchases on your iPhone.
If you don’t want to have two Apple IDs on your iPhone, go to Settings and then tap on the Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases option at the top. Tap on Media & Purchases, then Sign Out.