Windows XP was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, and went on sale to the general public on October 25, 2001. It is the direct descendant of both Windows Me (for home users) and Windows 2000. (for professional users).
In this case, a factory reset may be the only sure way out. You must create a completely new admin account with no password. Then, by logging in, delete all of the other user accounts in the control panel. You can delete any remaining temporary files with utilities such as CCleaner and TFC. Finally, delete the page file and turn off the system restore.
How To Wipe Windows XP?
You can wipe the hard drive of Windows XP without using software in two ways, as shown below.
1. Using Command Prompt
The steps below will help you erase the hard drive of windows XP using the command prompt:
- Restart your computer after inserting the Windows XP recovery disk or CD into the optical drive.
- When prompted, press any key to boot from the disc drive.
- To access the Recovery Console, press the ‘R’ key on the Welcome screen.
- If you have a multi-boot system, select your operating system by following the instructions on the screen. If your password is blank, press ‘enter’ or type in your administrative password.\
- In the prompt, type format c: /fs: NTFS and press ‘Enter.’
- However, the format command will only clean data; it will not erase drive partitions or data.
- So you need to use ‘list disk’, then ‘select disk#’ and use ‘clean all’ command.
- To erase the hard drive, press ‘Y’ and then ‘Enter.’
- The length of the process is determined by the size of the drive: it could take several minutes or even hours.
2. Restore To Factory Settings
You can quickly restore Windows XP to factory settings by following the few simple steps outlined below.
- Place the Windows XP CD in the tray.
- Start the system.
- On your screen, you should now see the option “Press any key to boot from CD.” Simply press any key on your keyboard.
- After the CD has loaded the required file library, press “Enter” at the “Welcome to setup” screen to begin the installation.
- To accept the End-User license agreement, press the “F8” key.
- Choose where you want to install Windows XP. The “D” and “C” keys are also useful for deleting and creating new partitions.
- To install Windows on the selected partition, press “Enter,” then “Enter” again to proceed.
- Select Format Partition and wait for the process to complete.
Also read:- [Solved] How To Remove Beita Plugin From Windows And Mac?
It is preferable to be safe and ensure that all personal and confidential data is completely erased before selling your personal or professional device. These are a few methods for wiping a Windows XP computer.
If you have any queries, please leave them in the comments down below.