While their laptop is plugged in and charging, most people prefer to use it. They do this to activate the high-performance mode without draining the battery completely. If you’re gaming or doing something that requires a lot of power, it’s best to keep your laptop plugged in.
While charging, your laptop may occasionally lag. It can be aggravating at times because you have to choose between a sluggish machine and a quickly depleted battery. Fortunately, you don’t have to worry because there are a few simple fixes you can implement right away. Before we get into those, let’s look at why your machine may be running slower while charging.
Reasons Why Your Laptop May Lag While Charging
When the CPU is overloaded, most laptops enable Turbo Boost, which causes the cores to accelerate to their maximum (max boost clock). While this may be useful for some high-productivity applications, it is unstable and may cause your laptop to lag. There is no way to simply disable turbo boost, but you can set your CPU to only reach 99 percent peak performance and easily avoid this issue.
While thermal throttling is less likely to be the source of the issue, it is still a possibility! When your CPU and GPU are overloaded, they overheat due to the additional energy required. While this heat is not always a problem, it can cause slower performance if it is not properly dissipated. To ensure that your components are not damaged, performance is reduced, resulting in slower speed. This problem is exacerbated when your laptop is charging because you provide extra energy, which is then converted to heat.
We talked about the two main reasons why your machine might slow down while charging. The good news is that you can easily fix them and return your machine to normal operation. So let’s get started on the solutions:
Turbo Boost Method
As previously stated, the Turbo Boost cannot be disabled. You can, however, limit your CPU performance to reach 99 percent capacity so that the Turbo Boost option does not activate. Follow the steps given below to prevent Turbo Boost activation:
- Go to your settings and look for “Control Panel.”
- Select the “View by” option in the panel’s upper right corner.
- Change it to “Small Icons” or “Large Icons.”
- Locate and select the “Power Options” icon.
- Under “Preferred Plan,” you will see “Balanced” or “Power saver” already selected.
- Select “Change plan settings.”
- Select “Change advanced power settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Locate “Processor power management” and click the little “+” next to it to bring up a drop-down menu.
- Select “Maximum power state” and reduce it from 100 percent to 99 percent.
- Check to see if the problem has been resolved by using your laptop while plugged in.
Thermal Throttling Repair
There could be thousands of solutions to thermal throttling. It is nearly impossible to list them all, so we will focus on the most common ones. We recommend trying all of them because they are simple to implement.
- The first step is to clean the fans and any other outtake devices. If dust gets caught in these, heat cannot escape effectively, resulting in overheating. A can of compressed air should suffice. If your laptop is out of warranty, we recommend opening the back panel for maximum effectiveness.
- You should also ensure that there is enough space for proper airflow. This means you shouldn’t use your laptop on your lap while it’s charging or when you’re doing heavy work. It may also be beneficial to purchase a dedicated cooling pad with fans.
- Finally, when your laptop is plugged in, we recommend keeping it in a cool environment. While this is not the ideal solution, it may help your problem for the time being.
Also read:- How To Speed Up Computer: A Perfect Guide
Every device comes with its own set of problems, laptops are no different in this regard. One of these issues is lag, usually, when plugged in, laptops deliver better performance. But sometimes that is not the case. Following this guide will allow the reader to solve the problem of lag when a laptop is plugged in.
If you found this guide helpful then do share it with your friends.