Since the pandemic-induced lockdowns, there has been an increase in demand for video content. In 2020, video consumption saw a year-over-year (YOY) increase of 120%. A quarter of American consumers signed up for at least one new paid streaming video service last year. Cisco predicts that online video traffic will account for 82% of all consumer internet traffic this year.
According to Wyzowl’s research, nearly 90% of video marketers saw a positive return on investment. It’s no surprise that 86% of businesses are now using video content to drive sales and engagement. Content creators, in particular, have set their sights on two of today’s most popular video streaming platforms: TikTok and YouTube.
- YouTube has remained one of the world’s most popular social media platforms since 2005. As a result of the pandemic, 43% of YouTube viewers are now spending more time on the platform.
- TikTok, on the other hand, isn’t afraid of competition. It was one of the fastest-growing social media apps during the pandemic due to its short-form layout and relatable content.
- TikTok and YouTube are both excellent video marketing platforms. Choosing one over the other can have a significant impact on your marketing campaign.
- So, which is best for you? To assist you in making your decision, we compared these two video-sharing behemoths, from their features and demographics to their benefits and differences.
- Then we determined the best option for you in 2022.
TikTok Vs Youtube
Before we start comparing the two platforms, let us first discuss both of them briefly. This will give you a general idea of what the platform is like.
Here are some key points you should keep in mind about TikTok
- TikTok is best known for the ease with which it allows users to create content. Users can simply create content on their phones, then add a background, stickers, filters, and emojis to finish it off.
- They can even post it online for feedback and reactions. TikTok is now being used by more brands to raise brand awareness and engage with a younger demographic.
- Not surprisingly, TikTok has grown rapidly since its launch in 2018. In fact, the video-sharing app tripled in size in just three years.
- It is now available in 150 countries and has received 2.6 billion downloads globally.
- A new user joins the platform every eight seconds.
- TikTok will have one billion monthly active users and $4.6 billion in revenue by 2022.
- TikTok primarily appeals to young people. In the United States, nearly half of all TikTok users are under the age of 30.
- Last year, the platform overtook Instagram in terms of popularity among Gen Z users. This demographic is not only a heavy smartphone user but also keeps up with current trends.
- TikTok has its own brand of teen creators and influencers, which is unsurprising.
Here are some key points about Youtube you should keep in mind:
- YouTube is the world’s second most visited website.
- This video-sharing platform debuted less than two decades ago with the goal of allowing users to share home videos.
- Shortly after its launch, the site began receiving 30,000 visitors per day.
- The platform was then purchased by Google, which transformed it into the YouTube we know today.
- The appeal of YouTube stems from its massive free video database. In fact, 78% of online users use it as their primary video source.
- YouTube’s user base has grown steadily over the years.
- It now has more than two billion active users and 1.7 billion unique monthly visitors.
Time To Compare The Two
TikTok earns money from brand partnerships and product advertisements, whereas YouTube earns money from mid-stream ads.
Max Video Length
- While the majority of TikTok videos are only 15 seconds long, the maximum duration is 10 minutes. YouTube, on the other hand, is more flexible in terms of content duration.
- A typical user can upload content for up to 15 minutes, while verified accounts can upload for up to 12 hours.
- TikTok has over a billion monthly users worldwide, while YouTube has over two billion.
- India leads all other countries in terms of the most users (for YouTube) and app downloads on both platforms (for TikTok).
- TikTok videos are entertaining short forms that usually include sound. These are typically dance and lip-sync videos. There are also prank videos and stand-up comedy content on occasion.
- YouTube provides a larger market for content that is also more tailored and refined. That is, YouTube videos typically necessitate a good setup and editing, whereas TikTok only necessitates a smartphone camera.
- YouTube offers a variety of ways to earn money by monetizing content. The majority of content creators primarily use AdSense.
- Other options include affiliate marketing, influencer marketing, Super Chat, and Super Sticker. TikTok, on the other hand, has fewer monetization options.
- Affiliate marketing and brand promotion are the most common methods.
- A third-party platform would be required to track conversions on TikTok.
- YouTube, on the other hand, already has in-app tools to help you track the performance of your ad campaigns.
TikTok vs. YouTube: which platform is best for you in 2022? There is no single correct answer for everyone. The best video-sharing app is still determined by your brand’s marketing objectives.
If you’re looking to appeal to a younger audience, we recommend Tiktok. But, if your content involves dealing with details, which cannot be covered in a few seconds, Youtube is for you.
In the end, if your content is good, and you possess the ability to innovate, you will be successful regardless of the platform. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
If you have any queries, please leave them in the comments down below.